Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ever wonder about how quickly some people make an impression?


Just for laughs.

I was telling a friend how annoying one conversation I had was today. The type where someone needs to drop a few times who their Dad is or where they went to school etc.. He sent me this link. It's like a mantra. instead of getting annoyed, this is what I will hear in my head...

I holed up in the office today unintentionally.
My cubicle faces the wall, I have to make an effort to glance out the window. So when the lights are on, i have no concept of time. :S After a while I realized it was 5 in the afternoon. I some how forgot about lunch or even stopping by the lab..which was around the corner. I msged the Phd who was in lab..even though she and everyone else were just a few doors down..we hadn't seen each other all day. >.<. Lame. She said our supervisor asked about where I disappeared to. So..tomorrow I will not be chillaxing in my office so much...

I got caught up structuring more chapters. I learned you can't just jump in and write. Everything step requires painstaking detail. Now I build my chapters with titles, subtitles, research questions, figures from past research for background, then my own figures and other lab data. No writing, until everything is clearly outlined. I jumped in without much thought the first draft. It came back with orders for a complete re-write, and the memorable comment from my supervisor, "I made the old PhD re-write his thesis 10 times. Now you know why he hates me."

I caught up over msn with the PhD. Over the weekend she and her husband mountain biked up an actual mountain. It's about 6-7 km uphill. They usually run 10 km in a day and bike a few miles home after work. The old PhD, now doing his postdoc in Sydney, was even more of a maniac. He used to mountain bike up Black mountain, just behind the ANU every lunch hour. Or bike home at 70 km/hr. We live in the same area, it'd take him 10 mins to get to lab, where it would take me 40 mins on a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. I love Scrub. And I totally agree how annoyingly frustrating it is to talk to someone who keeps on hinting how important his family is. Ugh. That's definitely not a road I want to go down.

    And wow. Hardcore biking. Someone I used to work with biked to work too. Even on a snowy/rainy day. I honestly don't think I have the determination to do so.

    P.S. Just when I was about to post comment and and word "evil" showed up as my word verification. Even the computer thinks biking go work/school every day is EVIL. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two updates in a short period of time! I wonder if you read my blog and said to yourself "I'm going to update more frequently!"

    Your story about biking reminds me of one of the episodes of The Office (the US one). Jim decides to bike to work but because he's wearing work clothing, he sweats and ruins his clothing and comes into work smelling like sweat. Haha that's what I think of whenever I feel like biking somewhere and its all the motivation I need to not bike (plus, not having a bike helps :P)

    P.S. I think evil came up because it was Tina commenting ;)

    ReplyDelete